Revised Building Regulations to arrive two years early

Published:  15 October, 2005

New measures to make buildings more energy efficient will save a million tonnes of carbon a year by 2010, according to an announcement from the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister and DEFRA last month (September).

The changes to Parts F (ventilation) and Part L (fuel conservation) from April 2006, two years ahead of schedule, and the implementation of the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive will make a major contribution to the UKs commitment to combat climate change. This will mean new homes will need to be better insulated and have more efficient heating systems.

The revised Part L will also make air-pressure leakage testing of buildings mandatory, improving compliance with the regulations by revealing unacceptable leakage, which can increase energy consumption.

These measures, alongside changes to condensing boilers, will improve energy standards for new buildings by 27% for non-dwellings, 22% in houses and 18% in flats. The new measures, together with changes to strengthen Building Regulations in 2002, will improve standards by 40% cutting fuel bills by up to 40% for new homes built from 2006.

Part L of the Building Regulations sets out standards for building work to conserve fuel and power and minimise heat loss, increasing energy efficiency through the use of more energy-efficient materials and methods. The measures are performance based, allowing flexibility to meet the new standards.

Environment Minister Elliot Morley said, I welcome this important step to improve the energy efficiency of buildings, which will cut harmful greenhouse-gas emissions. These measures will improve energy efficiency in buildings hugely, essential if we are going to meet our targets for cutting carbon-dioxide emissions. Every sector of society has to play a part in the effort to combat climate change, including the building industry by promoting energy-efficient products and design.

To ensure a high level of compliance and understanding of the new regulations, ODPM is introducing nationally recognised qualifications for surveyors and will be promoting the development of self-certification for Part L schemes to improve regulation. ODPM has already put in place a training and information programme.



comments powered by Disqus

Search

Welcome

Welcome to Modern Building Services Online, the web edition of Modern Building Services (MBS) journal and the UK's most popular Building Services engineering site. Modern Building Services covers the entire Building Services Engineering industry. This site contains archived content from the journal, plus web-specific content.

When you go to our digital edition, you can also access the archive of digital editions.
September 2018: DIGITAL EDITION

ARCHIVE OF DIGITAL EDITIONS

Modern Building services has a group
on Linkedin - join us!

BESA conference 2018

Show

Jobs

  • Senior Building Services Engineer

      Invitations are invited from experienced Building Services Engineers to assist in the development of a new division within an established professional practice. The projects will be predominantly with Defence-related and Government establishments but w......

  • Building Energy Management Systems (BEMS) Engineer

      Consistently rated amongst the world's best universities, Imperial College London is a science-based institution with a reputation for excellence in teaching and research. Imperial has one of the largest and most diverse university estate portfolios in......

  • Engineering Technical Assistant

      Consistently rated amongst the world's best universities, Imperial College London is a science-based institution with a reputation for excellence in teaching and research. Imperial has one of the largest and most diverse university estate portfolios in......

more jobs »

Poll

"Is the Building Services industry lagging behind in the implementation of BIM?"



Calendar