Waterloo meets design challenges of City office
Published: 04 February, 2016
The extensive curves of the St Botolph’s building in the City of London led to many of the air diffusers being custom built by Waterloo Air Products. There is a combination of sweeping 11, 12 and 13 m curves. The building was designed to achieve a ‘Very good’ BREEAM rating.
Offices are air conditioned throughout by a 2-pipe fan-coil system. Fresh air is supplied at constant volume and temperature by centralised air-handling units at roof level. Internal temperatures are maintained at 22°C all year round using a minimum fresh-air rate of 12 l/s.
The selection and placement of air terminal distribution products are crucial to the comfort in the space, and Waterloo was challenged with meeting the design aesthetics whilst ensuring that its diffusers provided the highest aerodynamic and acoustic performance levels.
‘Early consideration of the air distribution system helps remove any conflict between the building’s structure and its HVAC systems and ensures the maximum benefit and energy savings.’ says Rick Edmondson, chairman of Waterloo Air Products.
Working closely with the main contractor Phoenix ME and the fit-out contractor ISG, Waterloo supplied its CSJ linear slot diffusers and SDFS fixed-blade swirl diffusers and ensured a well-designed solution to suit the demands and aesthetic criteria.
Designed by Grimshaw architects, the building is owned by Deka Immobilien GmbH, a property and investment company. It is the headquarters of the Jardine Lloyd Thompson Group.For more information on this story, click here: February 2016, 126
- 07 - 09 March, 2017Ecobuild
- 23 March, 2017Pump Industry Awards
- 29 March, 2017, 9:30Data centre design and energy effiicency
- 31 March, 2017Annual awards of the Commissioning Specialists' Association - closing date for entries
- 11 May, 2017BCIA Awards 2017
- 17 - 18 May, 2017PHEX+
- 23 - 24 May, 2017Edie Live
- 15 June, 2017 - 23:55CSA Awards
- 12 - 14 September, 2017The Energy Event
- 22 - 23 November, 2017EMEX
- 23 - 25 January, 2018HVAC & Refrigeration Show