Air conditioning for WH Smith gives flexibility for change and expansion
Published: 10 June, 2007
Installation and operational flexibility have been provided for the new store of WH Smith at Meadowhall, Sheffield, by a mixture of Toshiba digital inverter split air-conditioning systems and a larger VRF system.
This new store is much larger than the one it replaces and is expected to increase in size. It is the first of a new design of WH Smith interiors, with a large open-plan entrance area and library-style shelving for books. There is also a café in the store.
Four Seasons Air Conditioning specified and designed the system and installed the equipment. The company will also be responsibile for future maintenance requirements.
The 12 split systems with cassette indoor units provide several types of flexibility. Each one-to-one split serves a particular area. If power should be lost in part of the store, air conditioning would still be available from other units. If required, temperatures can be varied in different parts of the store. Units can be easily relocated if the layout changes.
More ducted splits were appropriate for the part-glazed café area, and Toshiba’s ducted SMMS VRF system serves the entrance area, which is expected to expand.
All the systems are interfaced with a single Trend central controller in the plant room. This controller can be accessed remotely to assist maintenance or over-ride local settings.
- 07 - 09 March, 2017Ecobuild
- 23 March, 2017Pump Industry Awards
- 29 March, 2017, 9:30Data centre design and energy effiicency
- 31 March, 2017Annual awards of the Commissioning Specialists' Association - closing date for entries
- 11 May, 2017BCIA Awards 2017
- 17 - 18 May, 2017PHEX+
- 23 - 24 May, 2017Edie Live
- 15 June, 2017 - 23:55CSA Awards
- 12 - 14 September, 2017The Energy Event
- 22 - 23 November, 2017EMEX
- 23 - 25 January, 2018HVAC & Refrigeration Show