Refrigerant conversion saves energy for ASDA’s Liverpool superstore
Published: 05 October, 2011
The potential of Honeywell’s Genetron Performax LT refrigerant (R407F) to reduce energy consumption for medium-temperature refrigeration applications has been demonstrated by a long-term replacement trial at ASDA’s Hunts Cross store in Liverpool. The tests confirm results obtained by other European supermarkets of 13% less energy than systems using R407A and up to 20% less than R404A.
Brian Churchyard, head of refrigeration at ASDA, says, ‘The benefits we are seeing are very much a combination of ASDA system optimisation and favourable properties of the refrigerant. I feel the most important aspect for this conversion to Genetron Performax LT will be its efficiency and lower GWP versus R404A, which will enable us to reduce both direct and indirect emissions. I am impressed by the energy improvement.’
This refrigerant is a blend of R32, R125 and R134a. It can be used for new commercial installations and to retrofit existing R404A, R407A and R22 installations.
Conversion of existing R404A installations requires only minor adjustment to the expansion valve. Conversion of existing R22 installations requires only a single oil change and no adjustment to the expansion valve.
The conversion can be done very quickly, without disrupting business. At ASDA, the conversion was done over a weekend, and the start-up was trouble-free. The retrofitting cost is paid off through energy savings.For more information on this story, click here: October 2011, 80
- 16 - 18 February, 2016ACR Show
- 22 February, 2016Light for life: human-centric lighting (free event)
- 24 February, 2016, 18:00 - 23 March, 2016Daikin UK to help engineers ‘Mind the performance gap’ at Future Thinking seminars
- 25 February, 2016ESTA's 14th annual aM&T conference and exhibition
- 29 February - 03 March, 2016BIM Masterclasses
- 01 March, 2016Heat metering for the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI)
- 08 - 10 March, 2016Ecobuild
- 17 March, 2016Smart Energy Marketplace
- 19 April, 2016The future of facilities management and property services in the public sector
- 04 May, 2016, 9:30 - 05 May, 2016All-Energy
- 12 May, 2016BCIA Awards
- 25 - 26 May, 2016LIFTEX 2016
- 17 June, 2016CSA Awards
- 08 - 09 September, 2016Zero carbon buildings today and in the future